Monday, October 4, 2010

(No Subject - Conference Weekend)

Well this weekend was something to write home about. Conference weekend is always the best. I can´t even describe to you the excitement my companion and I felt on Saturday morning, as we were having personal study I looked up from my scriptures and stated loudly ``I`M SO EXCITED FOR CONFERENCE TODAY!!!´´
 
Being on this side of the world we watch conference from 4-6pm and then 8-10pm. What a real treat.
 
The talks were powerful and simple. Everything felt so back to basics. It was beautfiul. The warnings and the counsels for our times, for this year, for us right this moment. What a blessing to have the words of Prophets, seers, and revelators right here and now.
 
We watched Conference in Portuguese because there was just one computor to watch at the church. Neat. The internet kept crashing so I can´t wait to read the ensign next month to find out the punch line to some of the jokes.
 
But I think the most poignant moment of this conference was within the first 10 minutes of the Sat. session when the Prophet announced the next temples to be built.
 
LISBOA PORTUGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
I don´t know if you can imagine the gasp of the ward building. I squeeled like a little school girl. We were all so taken back that I still don´t know where else the other Temples will be. This is HUGE! To have a Temple in THIS country. Close. Oh so close to THIS people. The Temple grounds had already been purchased and dedicated in 1988, but it is not until now that the Church has been strong enough and prepared to recieve a Temple until now. Can you believe it? As missionaries we have been praying for a Temple everyday in our mission. We pray that we can find those who are searching for the truth, help them enter into the fold and build God´s kingdom. A Temple means everything. A Temple means that those faithful members of the Church don´t have to travel to spain to visit the House of the Lord, it means they have shown the Lord that they are ready to recieve the blessings of a Temple in their own country. It means that enough people have entered the waters of baptism and have become faithful members of the Church that there is a need for a Temple because of those great numbers of faithful members who are going to the Temple in Spain every year. We are greatful to witness this incredible time. I can´t even imagine the people back on the continent. They must be sooo excited. The Temple will be built in Sintra, about 30 minutes by buss from my last area. Maybe I will serve there before my time is up.
 
Speaking of which. I have one year left out here. Just one. Oh how quickly the time flies. Now is the time to work a little harder, focus a little more, and help these people of Ponta Delgada learn the Truth. God lives and so does His son Jesus Christ. God has a plan and he loves us.
 
out of time....5 mintues ago...
 
Love you all
 
Sister Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment