Monday, January 10, 2011

...and now you know the rest of the story.

Continued.....

Not only was the fate of this family resting in our hands, but the future of the Island of Pico.

We worked, we prayed, we fasted, we taught, we read with them, we spent every moment. But by the end of those 4 days (which felt like 6 years) They still had not accepted the baptismal invite.
Back up.... As we taught them about the Restoration of the Gospel and the importance of this news, the fact that the ordinances of Salvation had been restored and that revelation through Prophets had begun again. Their hearts began to change, they began to ask questions, they desired to read more in the Book of Mormon.

We had a lesson in which we explained the plan of Salvation and how our families can be together FOREVER. It was a spirit filled lesson that reminded me of when I learned of the plan of salvation, when the spirit is so strong you just get all filled up and tears start leaking out of your eyes....It was beautiful. They felt it, how do I know? Because their eyes were leaking too, and when the Spirit testifies, it is undeniable. 

Friday night (day before baptismal date) we still had hope, we knew that miracles happen with our faith that they could still have felt the confirmation of the Holy Ghost and be baptized the following day. We called and they did not attend. We had to wait until Saturday to return and to talk with them. We knew that things were not looking hopeful but that we had an order from Heavenly Father to do all we could do. Saturday night after a long day of pondering and praying and wondering what more we could do, and what more we could have done, we stopped by the house of familia de Pico. Our plan was to follow up and help them identify their answer. But when we arrived the apartment was full of visitors and music playing loudly. Zuleika and Antonia were sitting in the kitchen, and we invited ourselves in (haha).

 We entered the small kitchen and had a small lesson. We talked for only a few minutes, and Irmã Speigle and I felt the sinking feeling, they humbly told us that they did not feel prepared. They would not be baptized that night or the next morning before going back to Pico. But they looked at us and told us that they expected us to continue to give them ``trabalho de casa`` or ´´Homework´´ in the Book of Mormon. Zuleika said the closing prayer for us, and in her prayer expressed her gratitude to have learned of the Book of Mormon, and asked Heavenly Father for help that she could continue to learn more. After her prayed we raised our heads and I looked at her and Antónia and my eyes welled up. I looked at these woman that I barely knew, but had loved and served, and my heart ached for them, it ached for their happiness. We said good bye and left the apartment, walked down the stairs and stood at the bottom. The welling turned into big tears, and before I knew it I was crying, my heart hurt. I looked at Irmã Speigle and she felt that same feeling. 

We realized that we hurt because we really loved, and served and that now we would miss this family. Genuinely miss them, like long time friends. I felt like I was saying goodbye to my family. It was the strangest sensation. 

So in the end, they are back in Pico. Reading the Book of Mormon, preparing Pico for the day those missionaries step off the plane and start knocking the doors on that island just across the way.



I love you all. Sorry I didn´t write more about what happened this week. But just know that everything is peachy. We are learning, and growing.

Also... what is Claire Beaumont´s address, it is a mystery to me..

Lizzie

P.S.
Brian and amy I got your package!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment