Thursday, May 6, 2010

Ola!

Note from Stepper: I am ridiculously late posting Lizzie's letter this week - please forgive me!
 
Well well well,

Here I am again, another P-day at the MTC. I only have 4 more weeks! I have passed the half way mark and things are really cookin. Yesterday we taught our first lesson in Portuguese in the TRC. It was something else. 45 minutes of pure Portuguese. So fun! It is pretty intense. People come to the TRC to volunteer as people who are interested in hearing more about the Church. Another reason why this week was nuts was because I KNEW THE VOLUNTEER! He was a friend of a friend from school. The whole thing was wacky because seeing people you know while being a missionary is just so foreign. It always takes a few minutes for me to recover. I forget that the world is still turning outside of these walls. hahah.
 
Ok let's see today I went to the Temple. So beautiful, so peaceful. I saw Ashley Peterson's mom there! Sister Peterson! It was great.
 
In other exciting news, L. Tom Perry one of the Twelve Apostles came to the MTC this week. It was powerful to be in the presence of one of the Lord's Apostles. He spoke directly to us about the importance of the Book of Mormon. Do you know about the Book of Mormon? Did you know that it is literally another testament of Jesus Christ. It contains the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. What does that mean? Within it's pages all men are invited to learn of Christ and His Doctrine. Through accepting and living Jesus Christ's doctrine we are able to be happy actually, truly happy in this life and return to live with our Heavenly Father again after this life (which I think sounds wonderful!). Did you know that is why the ancient record of the American continent was translated by Joseph Smith? Not just so we could have something good to read (although it really is good to read), The Book of Mormon contains all doctrines that have been lost over time. The Book of Mormon contains a record of Prophets just like the Bible, who prophesied of Jesus Christ looked forward to Christ and followed the teachings of Christ. Do you have a copy of the Book of Mormon? You should. If you do have one that someone has given you, I urge--STRONGLY URGE you to pick it up off the shelf dust it off, and read a couple things. First Read- The introduction page. Second Read- Moroni 10:3-5. Third read- 3 Nephi 11. Maybe stepper could put a link up to LDS.org scripture page. I know WITHOUT A DOUBT, that the Book of Mormon is the true word of God. I love it. You will love it. Not just because it is a good read but because it contains the answers to the questions of the soul. It contains those things that will make us truly happy if we will but follow it.
 
Now I heard the Tanya Stoke got baptized last Saturday... WOO HOO!
 
Wow this e-mail is scatter brained. I love my mission. I love it. This experience is shaping me into the woman that God NEEDS me to be. The woman I WANT to be. I am learning to overcome my weaknesses through Him. I am fitter, happier, more productive here. I leave for Portugal in 4 weeks, to tell everyone there the good news that Jesus Christ's Gospel is on the earth again and through Him we can be happy with our families in this life and in Eternity. THAT'S A BIG DEAL!!!!!! PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW THAT, YOU KNOW? hahaha Ok I'm getting all worked up. My fingers are getting sweaty cause I'm typing so fervently.
 
Ok one more really important thing....
 
I love you.
 
Also there are these things called Bolos in Portugal. They are little cakes that I guess are really something special. My teacher assured us that in our monthly budgets in the field we are allotted a certain amount of money for Bolos. They are that serious about their pastries.... Now I know why I'm going there. hahah. Ok but seriously, can you imagine me just yucking it up with the local women as they teach me how to back bolos!
 
Ok well words of advice....
 
Read the Book of Mormon.
 
Budget Your Bolos.
 
 
I love you all so much.
 
 
Irma McCrery
 
 
Note from Stepper: Lizzie wrote during the week to let us all know that the MTC missionaries will not be allowed to phone on Mother's Day. My guess is that there are just too many missionaries there to accomodate the phone calls. And they're super encouraged right now to stay focused. She wanted me to send her regrest and her regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment